Chitika

Sunday 8 August 2021

My reflection as a German language teacher

 My name is Kanwal Rukh. I work full-time as a German language teacher in Roots Ivy International, Riverview campus, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Having joined the IB school, I have seen my teaching practices evolve from being dull and rigid to being interesting, flexible and more student-centered than teacher-centered. 

I can apply the concepts learned in this workshop to my teaching practices by using such tools, aids and activities that help me develop and polish the IB-attributes in my learners, especially in my core subject. I will try to bring international-mindedness in them through my language teaching with the help of student-centered teaching aids.

This workshop is focusing on learners being the agents of change. This agency is being supported through the development of IB-learner profile, which aims at enabling the learner become a caring, knowledgeable, open-minded, confident and internationally-minded citizen, who is open to change and new concepts. 

I am developing international-mindedness in my students through my language lessons including German movies, German poems and stories. Games are an integral part of my lessons. I encourage my students to participate in global challenges in a way that I encourage them to make friends belonging to the new culture, holding discussions with them, bringing up problems existing between cultures, and finally coming to solutions. For example, sometimes students come to me and tell me how they met a new friend from Germany while playing the online game and how they were able to communicate with them, introduce themselves, and likewise. Activities like this increases international-mindedness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment